Division 1 -
Farr 40, Melges 32, M 30
Back to the Dashboard
24 Jan 2008
This was quite a day from a race management perspective. We
had more flags flying than the United Nations. Our mark
boats and gate boats were hauling up marks and re-setting as
fast as they could. There will be some pretty tired mark
boat puppies tonight.
The signal boat is at the dock. I will keep trying to post
more pictures of today's action. Our file transfers were
slow today - alot of files going back and forth. I will also
try to post some video clips of the starts of race 4 for the
The results have been sent to the scoring office. Many
protest flags and reports of penalty turns, so we will have
to wait until after the hearings or arbitration to find out
the final scores.
Farrs coming up to the finish. It's almost over. And the
winner is................ ? Lot's of protests!
couldn't have asked for a better end to this day of sailing.
The conditions turned out perfect. I'm sure this is going to
make for some happy sailors. The party tonight is starting
later than usual since we didn't start racing until after 2
PM. Trophies awarded at 8 in the tent tonight. We should
have some pretty exciting results.
are setting up for an upwind finish.
ok, Farr 40 Nimbus just wrapped their bow around the port
gate mark -- not a pretty sight.
boats over early in the M30 class.
Starting race 5 for the Melges. Lot's of yelling at the
line. very aggressive starts, close - but all clear. The M30
start is next 30 to the prep signal
Starting the Farrs while finishing the M-30s
first three Farrs to cross are Twins, Mascalzone Latino, and
will be finishing the Farr 40s in about 10 minutes. Getting
set up with a new line. Things are hopping here on the
Well Race Fans, this is what we have been waiting for all
week. The sun is out, the wind is 12 knots and we are going
to have a second race today. Moving our line.
Sun's coming out. The Melges 32s are about 5 minutes from
Leading Farr 40s are now approaching the gate. Breeze is
about 12 knots now. It looks like Twins will be the first to
the gate followed by Mascalzone Latino and then Nerone. Very
close fleet at the gate.
All three classes have started. Farrs were all clear at the
start. Several Melges and M-30s were OCS at the start, but
Breeze has filled in nicely and we are contemplating
lengthening the course by 2/10 of a mile. That will mean one
starting the race for Farrs. probably just one race today.
Wind up to 8 knots with a narrower range of variability -
about 20 degrees rather than 40 degrees. Average direction
are moving to set a line so the windward marks don't
interfere with the Div 2 course. We have enough wind for a
direction - 310-350. still waiting for it to settle more.
Weather one reports that what looks like flat spots with no
wind is actually seaweed.
are seeing 6 knots now and waiting for the direction to
settle. Starting to set line and course. Weather one is
seeing 6+ knots. Weather seeing 4.8 at 320, but says he is
in a little hole right now. This is looking good.
are starting to get some activity. Boats are hoisting mains
and starting to sail a bit.
Seas are glassy, but our weather mark boats are reporting
4.5 knots and filling back in. The sky is lifting and with
improved visibility. We are setting the anchor and getting
ready for the breeze to fill in. We are optimistic.
competitors arriving and checking in.
We are relocating the signal boat .3 miles to the north with
the hope of slightly better wind. Seas are very flat so it's
easy to read the wind on the water. Lot's of dead patches.
Kenny says that at this point we can't predict an estimated
start time with this kind of breeze. Div 4 is seeing 6-7 so
we are hoping it comes our way.
Right now our weather mark one boat reports less than a knot
The wind has completely crapped out.
Weather one is reporting breeze from 320 at 5 knots. Waiting
for the breeze to get down here to the signal boat.
Good Afternoon Sailors. The Division One signal boat is now
out in the course circle looking for the best place to set
up. We are seeing about 5 knots out here coming from the
northeast. Keep you fingers crossed.
Just got the word that the AP will drop at noon and the race
committee boats will head out to the course. Winds are still
very light at about 2 knots.
We just fired
up the engines and are preparing to leave the dock.
We are leaving the dock now and heading out tot he starting
The battle flags a fluttering a bit more. The true wind
reading on the signal boat is still around 2-2.5 knots. Keep
praying to the wind gods.
The battle flags on the competitors boats are barely moving.
We have big fat pelicans sitting on the dock pilings looking
for their lunch.
We are still under the AP and will be until noon. At that
time we'll hear an announcement from Race Headquarters. Keep
praying for wind.